Sunday, March 7, 2010

Out of It

Janet writes: Tim had a bad night last night. It was the first night in a long time that he could not sleep. He said that a million thoughts rushed into his head and he couldn’t get them to settle down. This morning he is tired and can’t process his thoughts to organize himself for the day. He came in the kitchen and just stood there for a couple of minutes. Then he disappeared into the bedroom, not coming out until I felt the need to check on him. He said “I’m just out of it.”



When Tim is restless like this, I usually end up waking up and he usually ends up talking to me about all those thoughts. Afterward, he falls asleep and, if I’m lucky, I do too. This all happens at 2 o’clock in the morning, of course. Anyone reading this that has MS can probably relate to this little scenario. Insomnia is a common symptom of MS.



Tim says that he seems to get this way the week before his Tysabri infusion. A little out of it, a little more disorganized. His memory seems to slip more and it takes him a longer time to sort out and process information. After his infusion, he is better again. Does anyone else have this type of thing happen. Can the effects of Tysabri “wear off”?


Tim will be fine today once he gets going. He will probably have to pound couple cups of coffee, however, so that he doesn’t fall asleep in church!



1 comment:

  1. YIKES!!!

    I had no idea that "Insomnia is a common symptom of MS."

    I spent a year "sleeping" on my couch so that I could have the dialog from the TV to separate me from MY OWN brooding thoughts! And this is a cheap couch from Ikea, easily adequate for perching house-guests, but not ANY good for sleeping.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete