Monday, March 15, 2010

Fish Oil Problem

Janet writes: Stocked up on vitamins again Saturday. All the doctors Tim and I have encountered recently have pushed the virtues of Vitamin D and Omega-3 for MS. Take Vitamin D to prevent MS. Take Vitamin D to help MS symptoms. Take Omega-3 to help your cognitive skills. When we heard how much Vitamin D and Omega-3 you’re supposed to take for MS, we found that we were falling a little short. One doctor recommended 5000 mg of Omega-3 per day. Tim was taking 1200 mg. Ooops! He had better pound down a few more.


Here is what the NMSS has to say about Omega 3:




Fish oil, the primary source of Omega-3, comes in gel cap form these days. Not like when my parents were kids and were forced to take cod liver oil. I’ve never tried the stuff, but I’ve heard it’s terrible. Anyway, I’d much rather take gel caps, but I had a little problem the other day. Omega-3 gel caps are quite huge, over an inch long, and I take four per day, usually two at a time. This time, however, I somehow managed to take two at exactly the same time – they stuck together and slid down my throat joined side by side. Ouch!!! I felt like I had a boulder stuck by my voice box. It took me ten minutes to get them down. Talk about a sore throat!


I still take four Omega-3 gel caps every day. One at a time!

2 comments:

  1. Fish oil use seems to go round and round in circles, though the arrow never seems to stop on 'bad for you'. For my own caregiver health, I eat two 1200mg capsules a day, one at a time:)

    Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGH, "fish oil wheel!"
    That is just so yucky, and P@CY didn't even say it!

    Never heard of Omega3 for MS, I've been taking it
    for sore knees, which is GRRReat!(like Tony the tiger). For MS would almost make the choke factor worth it.

    On TV (my friend), I see a new thing supposed to equal the fish oil in power but come in tiny pills.; it goes by the name of Krill Oil Red, but I cannot find it.

    (Krill being so much smaller than fish?)

    I am crossing my Messie fingers!

    ReplyDelete